Training Program on issues related to the Protection of Critical Infrastructures, focusing on the energy sector
Athens, 24 March 2017
On 20 and 21 March 2017, the Center for Security Studies in collaboration with the European Commission’s Joint Research Center E. Space, Security & Migration Disaster Risk Management Unit - JRC.E.1, organized a Training Program on issues related to the Protection of Critical Infrastructures, focusing on the energy sector.
Experts from JRC, from the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), from the European Union Agency for Network and Information Security (ENISA) and European countries (Portugal, Switzerland, Germany) participated in the program; and also forty-two (42) representatives from Ministries and from public and private institutions attended the Program, as listed below:
- MINISTRY OF ENVIRONMENT & ENERGY
- SECRETARY GENERAL FOR TELECOMMUNICATIONS & POSTS
- NATIONAL CERT
- CYBER CRIME DIVISION/HELLENIC POLICE
- REGULATORY AUTHORITY FOR ENERGY
- INDEPENDENT POWER TRANSMISSION OPERATOR (ADMIE A.E.)
- INDEPENDENT GAS TRANS MISSION SYSTEM OPERATOR (DESFA A.E.)
- HELLENIC ELECTRICITY DISTRIBUTION NETWORK OPERATOR S.A. (DEDDIE A.E.)
- NATURAL GAS SUPPLY COMPANY (DEPA S.A.)
- PUBLIC POWER CORPORATION S.A. - HELLAS
- ELPEDISON ΑΕ
- PROTERGIA ΑΕ
Specifically, the Training Program included the following sessions:
• Theoretical – which included the development of issues related to the protection of critical infrastructures and
• a table top exercise, including a scenario with hybrid threats.
Topics discussed and analyzed in detail, were:
• Analysis of the Directives 114/2008 and 1148/2016 of the European Parliament and of the Council.
• Presentation – exploitation of the outcomes of European research projects in the field of the Protection of Critical Infrastructures.
• Interoperability and Interdependence of CIs.
• Presentation of case studies and exchange of best practices by European experts.
• Current challenges in the energy sector (eg hybrid threats).
• Governmental approach to the Protection of Critical Infrastructures.
• Management of Business Continuity.
Finally, it is noted that the Training Program was funded by the above mentioned JRC Directorate.